Everybody can receive a top-notch education in Hungary, which has 67 higher education institutions. Free healthcare, free tuition, a top-notch education, and many more advantages come with studying in Hungary.
Any foreign student who wishes to enroll in a higher education program in Hungary must first get a student visa.
The primary prerequisite for receiving a Hungarian student visa is acceptance into a Hungarian university before beginning the application process.
Is a visa required to study in Hungary?
Depending on your nationality, you may or may not require a student visa for Hungary:
- Americans, Japanese, Canadians, and other nationals are exempt from the visa requirement; however, they must apply for a resident permit for educational purposes.
- To enter Hungary to receive an education, individuals outside the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA) must obtain a student visa and a residency permit.
Checklist for Hungary student visa paperwork
To complete your application for a student visa to Hungary, including the necessary paperwork.
- Valid passport: Provide an original passport with two blank pages for stamps. You need a passport that was issued in the last ten years.
- Visa Application Form: Give the appropriate authority the completed student visa form and accurate information.
- Passport-size photographs: Include two recent images with your application, taken no more than six months ago. Attach one picture to the application and add the other to the paperwork. Photos must adhere to Schengen regulations.
- Proof of accommodation: The invitation letter must mention any accommodations the Hungarian University provides. If you must provide housing for yourself, you must produce a rental agreement with the building’s owner and a property document issued within the previous month.
- Letter of acceptance from the university: Information about the start date of classes and payment details (if any) should be included in the letter.
- Medical insurance: If the university in Hungary offers medical insurance, it should be specified in the invitation letter. If not, you must submit documentation from your travel insurance demonstrating that you have at least €30.000 set aside to cover medical costs. Health insurance must be active throughout the entire Schengen Region.
- Financial status: Applicants must submit a translated bank reference and six-month bank statement.
- A receipt for the fee: The “Stipendium Hungaricum” state scholarship does not apply to students who have received it.
Students should also send a letter from the university (written in English or translated into English), together with the person in charge’s signature, stamp, and the address and phone number of the educational institution.
How to Get a Hungary Student Visa?
Four simple steps make up the application process for a student visa for Hungary:
1. Accept an invitation from a Hungarian university.
Only those who are enrolled in Hungary’s higher education institutions are eligible to apply for student visas. You can proceed with your student visa application once you receive your acceptance letter and invitation.
2. Book an appointment.
Make an appointment for your student visa by contacting Hungary’s closest embassy or consulate. Three months before your trip to Hungary, you can schedule an appointment.
3. The steps for applying must be followed.
Complete the application form and include any necessary supporting documentation.
4. Receive an answer.
Await the embassy’s response about your visa request. Usually, the embassy will send you a text or email to let you know.
How long does it take to get a Hungary student visa?
Hungary’s Migration Department will decide on your visa application. The time it takes to assess an application ranges from two weeks to one month.
Duration of a Student Visa
the duration of a student visa for Hungary is the length of the academic program. You can begin looking for a job and applying for a work permit to extend your stay after your student visa ends.
Following Hungary Entry with a Student Visa
Once in Hungary, you can stay in the residence hall of your school. However, you must hunt for a renter if the institution does not provide a place to stay.
A Hungarian phone number should be obtained from one of the network service providers.
In addition, you must register at the regional office of the Office of Immigration and Nationality within 93 days and save a duplicate of the registration form for accommodations as proof of compliance.
As a student enrolled in higher education, you are also entitled to free medical care.
Can a Student Visa Holder Work in Hungary?
With a student visa for Hungary, you can work; unlike international students from outside the EU, who must seek a permit, EU students are free to work in Hungary.
Students from third countries with a study-related residence permit can work full-time for up to 24 hours per week while enrolled in classes and for up to 90 days (66 working days) each year while not enrolled in classes.
Can I bring my family with me?
Your family members must apply for and receive a family visa if you want to bring them to Hungary. They can enter the country once they receive their family visa.
The National Health Insurance Fund covers the following medical services:
- Registration and consultation;
- Medicines and medical consumables;
- Dental and ophthalmological services;
- Inpatient care services;
- Surgical services;
- Medical and orthopedic appliances;
- Rehabilitative services.